PSYONIC announces the release of the Ability Hand, a bionic hand designed with multi-touch sensory feedback.
“Meeting an amputee in my parents’ native Pakistan when I was 7 years old shaped the course of my life. It struck me that the quality of life that someone with limb differences lives is largely dependent on the resources available to them. For that reason, my mission is to develop advanced prostheses that are affordable and available to everyone worldwide.”
— PSYONIC CEO and Founder, Dr. Aadeel Akhtar
About the Ability Hand
The Ability Hand system includes a multi-articulated prosthesis that is robust, lightweight and offers touch feedback as well as a 200ms closing speed. Other design features include the following:
- Lightweight. The Ability Hand weighs in at 470 grams – about 20% less than the average human hand. And it comes in two sizes, so it fits a much broader range of people than the typical prosthetic.
- Multi-articulated. All five fingers flex and extend, and the thumb rotates.
- Easy to charge. The Ability Hand charges using USB-C in about an hour. A charge lasts all day. It can even charge a mobile phone.
- Cross-compatible. The Ability Hand works with most third-party EMG pattern recognition systems, EMG direct control systems, linear transducers, and force-sensitive resistors.
- Tough. The Ability Hand is lightweight, water-resistant, and each finger can handle blunt force impact without breaking.
- Bluetooth compatible. The Ability Hand can connect to PSYONIC’s iOS and Android mobile apps, enabling a prosthetist to fine tune it and the user to make improvements to its grips and functionality.
- Over-the-air updates. The company will continually update the Ability Hand’s software so it can be downloaded from their app.
The Ability Hand works with most third-party myoelectric pattern recognition systems, myoelectric direct control, linear transducers, or force sensitive resistors. Prosthetists work with their patients to determine which system is best to integrate with the Ability Hand. Each hand is equipped with patent-pending high-performance motor control, compliant finger joint technology, a 7.4V 2200mAh battery pack, bluetooth connectivity, and sensory touch feedback. The hand is compatible with most commercially available third-party wrist rotators and elbows.
The Ability Hand is covered by Medicare and most insurance companies. For more information, contact PSYONIC.