March 6 marks the 60th anniversary of welcoming the first patient at Magee Rehabilitation Hospital. In a blog post, Magee looks back on the numerous milestones throughout its history.
- March 9, 1958: Magee welcomes its first patient
- 1962: First major renovation: created a fifth floor to the facility. Resulted in Activities of Daily Living floor with simulated environments to practice self care skills
- 1975: Further expansion of services by purchasing space for PT/OT outpatient services, on the 5th floor of the Bellet Building. Year later built walkway to connect to main building
- 1978: Established Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center – One of fourteen in the US.
- 1980: Official institutional name change to Magee Rehabilitation Hospital
- 1983: Completed major expansion project (west wing), increasing patient capacity from 66 to 96 – Additional beds specifically devoted to treating SCI patients
- 1985: Became the first certified brain injury rehabilitation program to be accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities
- 1987: Outpatient Therapy opens in South Philadelphia
- 1992: Opened the Amputee Day Hospital
- 1993: Jerry and Carolyn Segal Center for Community Skills opens. Called “Segal Street” by staff members, the 6th floor indoor/outdoor facility offers a variety of real-world on the street challenges.
- 1994: “Think First” Program launches
- 1998: Magee Rehabilitation Hospital formally joined the Jefferson Health System.
- 2000: Adam Taliaferro injury increases fundraising for wheelchair sports programs
- 2007: Concierge Services begins
- 2014: Jefferson Health System dissolves
- 2017: Creative Therapy Center and healing Garden opens and begin renovations for 80 private patient rooms; corporate Offices move to Suburban Station
- 2018: Magee Rehabilitation joins Jefferson Health
[Source: Magee Rehabilitation Hospital]